Content Nav Menu

Australian Deal of the Day – LG Optimus Spirit $49.50

on May 13, 2012 10:08 am

If you’re like me you’re probably sick of all these US only Deal of the Days on The Gadgeteer, so here’s a fair dinkum Aussie one and it’s actually not just for the day. :)  If you’re after a cheap and cheery Android phone, Coles has a special Flybuys deal on the LG Optimus Spirit (P690) for $49.50.

It’s certainly no state of the art phone but running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), an 800MHz CPU with 1500mAh Li-Ion battery, 3.2″ capacitive HVGA/320X480 screen, 150MB internal memory (expandable by up to 32GB microSD), Bluetooth and WiFi it’s no lightweight either. It even comes with a 2GB SD card to get you started and is Telstra Blue Tick approved.

It is locked to Telstra and will only work for 3G on 850MHz but there are unlockers out and even alternate roms if you want to root it

I’ve just bought two for my boys and playing with the they’ll do them just fine. The only comment I’ll make is that the LG menu system is a bit laggy, but is easily replaced with say Go Launcher EX.

If you’re after a spare phone, a phone that you can use as an auto GPS (just add Metroview or Navigon or Sygic and you won’t even need a SIM card), an MP3 player or a games unit for the kids, it’s pretty good value.  You’ll even get a $10 prepaid SIM and if you purchase and activate before 22 July, 1000 bonus Flybuys points.

Oh and don’t worry if you’re not a member of Flybuys, the checkout chick just scanned a temporary membership in when  my 16 year old picked up his :)

Full specifications are here.

Comments

1. 1
    Julie says:

Ian, what the heck does fair dinkum mean? ;)

2. 2
    Ian Lim says:

Fair suck of the sav, it’s hard yakka sometimes. I mean how much can a Koala Bear ? :)
    Fair Dinkum = true/genuine

3. 3
  4. 4
    Ian Lim says:

In the end I cracked and bought one. Once I get the prepaid credit to my kids prepaid phones effectively it’s costing me $39.50. A cheap price for such a “high specced” Android device.

No phone functionality being used, it will become my MP3 Player, auto GPS, streaming radio player, photo geotagging device and various other non-phone functions. Price for any of these as a dedicated device would be much higher and I don’t have to worry about my phone being flat when I need it :)

Had it rooted, clockworkmodded, nandroid backed up and had Cyanogen 7.2 loaded on it in less than an hour.

5. 5
    Jay says:

Hey, my GS2 suddenly died last night so today i went out for a new cheap replacement and settled on this one quite happily!.

I noticed you said you installed CM7 (or 9… forget) and i was wondering “what compatibility this phone has with various roms”.
    I checked the Cynogen mod website but this phone isn’t listed in their supported devices.

What version rom did you use to flash this phone with?

Anyway, good grab for under $50.

6. 6
    Ian Lim says:

Hey Jay,

Here’s my procedure in “gross” form with links:
    Root (http://www.unlockroot.com/)
    Clockworkmod ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1354387 )
    Nandroid Backup
    CM7.2
    (There is a CM9 version out there (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1651974) but Bluetooth and FM Radio don’t work on it amongst other things, 2 things I want on this device )

To boot into recovery turn on the phone while holding down the volume up and home button.

As I say, my unit’s just a media/GPS device, but my 2 sons haven’t complained about any problems using as a phone,sms,radio, music player, games…. over the last week.

Disclaimer: Rooting and putting on an alternate rom can be potentially dangerous. Neither I or The Gadgeteer will be held responsible if this procedure makes your phone melt, explode, disintegrate, or cause harm to anyone near it. :P

7. 7
    kb says:

Hi, I’m still a semi-newbie regarding this whole process. Can you explain why you needed to install a EXT3 Partition?

8. 8
    Ian Lim says:

Actually it might not do anything as it appears that Cyanogen dropped support for apps2ext ( automatic moving of apps to an ext partition). Editing my post above and doing some more research. Sorry if I’ve led you astray :)

9. 9
    kb says:

No worries. Thanks for clarifying.

Just one more question – does portable wifi hotspot work for you with Cyanogen put down?

10. 10
    Ian Lim says:

Sorry no idea don’t even have a Sim in my phone…. :)

11. 11
    Tim says:

Any one found an unlocker for this yet?

12. 12
    Ian Lim says:

Ebay….unlock…lg…p690 :)

13. 13
    Tim says:

Thanks for the Ian.
    Got one the other day, code within 1 hr, very response phone given it’s low specs. Glad they kept a decent resolution display in it. Looking forward to seeing it’s battery life out here in the country areas!

14. 14
    Wan says:

Hi Ian

Any idea if there is a free way to unlock the phone?

thanks!

15. 15
    Ian Lim says:

See my previous post. Not free but can be had for under $2 :)