Sony Announces New Xplod In-Dash Car Stereos Designed For Connectivity and Customization

I drive a 2006 Mazda 3 5 Door and love it except for two things. The A/C is crappy and so is the stock stereo. I keep toying with the idea of replacing the stereo and these new Sony Xplod in-dash units might make me finally pull the trigger. Sony has introduced 4 different radios that range in price from $80 up to $160. So pricing isn’t really an issue. The top end model (CDX-GT650UI) has several features that appeal to me, including the ability to customize the illumination color to match the color that your car already uses. There are 35,000 color choices, so I don’t think I’d have a problem picking one to match. It also has a front USB connector for use with an iPod or other MP3 player, as well as a front aux-in jack. It even has an application called SenseMe that automatically organizes your music library into custom playlists to match your mood.

Posted in: Car Gear, News
  • Fman52 September 18, 2010, 8:47 pm

Hey u said u have a five door car

• Julie September 18, 2010, 10:03 pm

@Fman52 They consider the hatch back a door 🙂

• GODMODE September 18, 2010, 9:13 pm

This is what needs to happen:

Someone, I don’t care who, needs to make a stereo with a cavity that fits iPod touch’s or Android tablets. It becomes your entertainment HUB.

End of story. Sure sure, let the iPhone and Droid-X or whatever fit to.. Its just a matter of plastic adapters.

WHEN? When will this come to market :)~

• DStaal September 18, 2010, 9:59 pm

@Godmode: Go to Sony’s site (incorrectly linked above…). They have several models where the face will flip down, you put your iPod in, and it slides it back, then flips the face back up.

So, they sell them already. 😉

• Julie September 18, 2010, 10:04 pm

@DStaal Linked fixed 🙂

• Marc September 18, 2010, 11:09 pm

These lag WAY behind the Alpine iPod decks. I’ll take an Alpine IDA-X series any day. Sure they cost more.. but you get what you pay for. Alpine has had the car stereo/digital media market mastered for years over the competition.

• GODMODE September 19, 2010, 9:32 am

• GODMODE September 19, 2010, 9:35 am

I am looking more for, a place to snap your ipod touch or android in there, and it is the interface for everything. there can be an FM/AM radio built into the console, but with siriusXM apps, pandora, music internet, and GPS already in those devices, really, my idea is 100% better than sonys 🙂

• Deslock September 21, 2010, 7:47 pm

You can get the XML8100 at Walmart for $95.

BossAudio also makes receivers with a retractable iPod dock, but AFAIK they don’t support the iPhone (while the Dual XML81X0 models do).