Amazon Drops Price on the Kindle with Global Wireless

Not to be outdone by Barnes and Noble dropping nook prices, Amazon has a new price on their latest edition, 6″ Kindle with global wireless.  It’s now $189.00, with free 2-day shipping.  These announcements are good news for people who’ve been wanting an ebook reader!

Posted in: eBook Readers, News
  • Bob DeLoyd June 22, 2010, 1:44 pm

It was too tempting; I bought one yesterday when the price dropped to $189. It will be delivered to my door on Wednesday 🙂

• Tetsubo June 22, 2010, 5:01 pm

I just read an article that LP is releasing an e-reader with a built-in solar panel.

The technology is slowly catching up with my needs…

• Bob DeLoyd June 23, 2010, 4:02 pm

A solar panel would be nice for charging while you’re out camping. Even at 20 grams (0.0441 pounds) which isn’t very much, I don’t think I’d want it connected to the ebook while I’m reading. It doesn’t say if you can disconnect it from the reader but I bet you can. Pretty cool!

• Bob DeLoyd June 24, 2010, 3:59 am

I had to wait around the house for UPS to deliver my Kindle 2 E-reader. It finally arrived around 2pm and I started reading the manual. I wanted to see if I could go online with it to get my email. After fiddling around trying to get my password entered correctly with the small keyboard, I logged into my Gmail account and read and sent emails. It is slow; about as slow as dialup, but useable in a pinch. I then went to my Website and it loaded correctly and the pictures on the site were viewable. On both the email and website the navigation was somewhat awkward but I believe that’s because I’m not used to the keyboard; in time I’ll have that down. I went to the Kindle site at Amazon to find free books. The Kindle was already setup with my Amazon account and I didn’t have to do anything. I found that it was difficult to find the section for free books and I ended up going online with my computer to get the titles I wanted, and then enter them into the Kindle books search on the Amazon Kindle site. I downloaded three free Star Wars ebooks in minutes and without any hassles. Tomorrow I’ll start reading an ebook. All in all I found that the Kindle 2 is all that I expected; and getting my email and the web, even being slow as it is, was a big plus!

• Julie June 24, 2010, 7:37 am

@Bob Congrats on your new toy!

• Bob DeLoyd June 24, 2010, 7:40 pm

Thanks Julie!
    I like new toys 🙂

• Janet Cloninger June 24, 2010, 10:19 pm

@Bob I’m glad you’re happy with your new Kindle. I personally think everybody needs an ebook reader of some type.

• Bob DeLoyd June 29, 2010, 4:53 am

Now all I need to do is find some good ebooks to read 🙂

• Janet Cloninger June 29, 2010, 8:17 am

@Bob I suggest you start with Watchers by Dean Koontz. It’s a great book!

• Julie June 29, 2010, 8:38 am

@Bob Take Janet’s advice. I did. I enjoyed the book 🙂

• Bob DeLoyd June 30, 2010, 12:24 pm

I like Koontz! I’ll give it a go and download it.