Guitar (and other instrument) Picks with no Point

For the past couple of years I’ve been doodling around on a ukulele, but lately I have a new obsession – the dulcimer. While surfing around for dulcimer info, I happened upon the Pointless Pick. It’s a round pectrum with a handy raised grip ring in the center. Wow, why wasn’t this invented long ago? They are made in Michigan and available in 3 colors that signify their thickness. A trial pack with 3 of each size can be purchased for $10. I’m looking forward to trying them out. What is your favorite type of pick?

Posted in: Music Gear, News

• Fred June 11, 2010, 8:38 am

Can’t you guys just use a casino chip?

• Julie June 11, 2010, 8:50 am

@Fred too thick :)

• Andy Simmons June 11, 2010, 9:33 am

Julie, you are just full of surprises!

I have a friend who is plays mountain dulcimer, and it certainly seems like he enjoys it. I always wondered what one would sound like if played with a Jellifish pick (http://www.jellifish.com/).

Man, now *I* want to find an obscure musical instrument to get into. Hmm. Autoharp? Theremin? Chapman Stick? So many choices!

• Julie June 11, 2010, 9:35 am

@Andy I suggest a Kazoo :)

• Knuckleguise June 11, 2010, 12:38 pm

I have always used the butt end of guitar picks, because I have found it simpler to pick that way. Pointy picks just seemed to get caught in my picking style (which is invisible!) and I could never get it right. Lately I have been using rounder picks, and sort of get the same effect as these in the post. It certainly does not give you the string attack as a regular pick, but it is a good tool to use [I think for someone (like me!) who needs to start out with something smoother, and something that can “get passed” the highly angled point of a regular pick.

• Bryan Sherman June 11, 2010, 3:31 pm

Not sure I would dig the round end. I am a big fan of Jim Dunlap Nylon .88 mm.

My new obsession is picking up Banjo… those pics are TOTALLY different. It’s been an interesting adjustment.

So will we be starting a Gadgeteer roots music band? lol

• YOung SUl June 11, 2010, 4:43 pm

I think you mean pLectrum

• Julie June 11, 2010, 5:08 pm

@Bryan Here at the house, we have a banjo, 6 ukuleles, 2 dulcimers, 2 guitars, a harmonica, keyboard and an autoharp. We could definitely whip up a band, but you know what? I’ve never played a song with another person… ever. I’ve always just doodled around on my own.

• Bryan Sherman June 11, 2010, 5:29 pm

Just to be clear, I am a hack. So that was a joke. I enjoy my playing, not entirely sure anyone else would…

• Julie June 11, 2010, 5:30 pm

@Bryan I’m exactly the same way :)

• Tom Munch June 12, 2010, 8:21 am

My favorite picks have been Michael Wegen’s for quite some time. I like thick picks, and these give great control, the perfect sound for me, and are easy to hang onto. I get them from Elderly Instruments:

I tried about 60 different picks before I settled on these a few years back.

• Julie June 12, 2010, 10:42 am

@Tom 60 picks! Wow. You need to start a Guitar Pick Review website :)

• Tom Munch June 17, 2010, 12:11 am

I actually tried more than that I think. Picks are as personal as players, and you can usually get a good tone from any of them. It just takes practice.