Old school iPad gaming with the iCade

Ever have a yearning for those 80’s-style arcade games, but still want to stay on the cutting edge?  Enter the iCade iPad Arcade Game Cabinet.  Invented by those clever gadgetophiles at ThinkGeek, the iCade is a handcrafted, wooden, desktop-sized gaming console that allows you to slide in your iPad, launch the free iCade app (available April 3 in the App Store) and kick it old school with your long-lost pals Donkey Kong, Q-Bert, Dig Dug and more (games available separately).  With full-sized joystick and buttons, it also includes an integrated 30-pin Apple dock connector for charging and a 10W USB power adapter for juice hookup.  $149.99.

Sorry… this was an April Fools day post….

Posted in: Gaming Gear, iOS, News
  • Janet Cloninger April 5, 2010, 8:07 am

Andy, this this looks fabulous! I’ve never played arcade games – when I mentioned playing games on my touch and my iPad I meant playing card and board games like Scrabble. Still, I want one of these things. Too bad it’s so big and too expensive to use as a charging stand…

• Chris April 5, 2010, 8:18 am

Did anyone actually look into this? It was a April Fools Day Joke.

• Daniel Staal April 5, 2010, 8:40 am

Um, you _did_ notice the date Thinkgeek announced this product, didn’t you?

• Michael Moncur April 5, 2010, 8:42 am

Yeah, this was a joke. It doesn’t exist.

It’s a shame, almost all of ThinkGeek’s joke items this year were things I would have actually purchased…

• Janet Cloninger April 5, 2010, 9:02 am

Oh, too bad. Now I don’t have to feel bad that I can’t justify buying one!

• Andy Chen April 5, 2010, 10:25 am

Ah, but wasn’t the Star Wars TaunTaun sleeping bag originally an April Fool’s item before incredible demand led to an actual product?

• Daniel Staal April 5, 2010, 10:39 am

Thinkgeek has several times made their April Fools products into real products.

Unfortunately it’s very unlikely in this case, due to the licensing restrictions Apple puts up around the iPad. See this Ars Technia article:

• thenikjones April 5, 2010, 1:33 pm

Great April Fool’s joke – almost enough to make me buy an Pad for.

• James Branch April 5, 2010, 1:51 pm

I’m sure demand for it will be huge, so they’ll have to make them… maybe! 🙂 They look awesome!