Dude, where’s my bookshelf?

With all this talk of Kindles and iPads, netbooks and notebooks, does anyone still read real books anymore?  ‘Sure,’ you say, ‘But I’ve got no room to store ‘em!’  Feast your skeptical eyes on the Conceal Bookshelf from Umbra. One part minimalist style, one part eerie levitation trick, if nothing else it will certainly be a conversation piece.  Just screw the bracket into a wall stud, hook the cover of one of your hardback books in the small holding teeth and poof!  You’ve got a stack of books floating along your wall.  Made of powder-coated steel and available in small for $10.50 and large for $14.00.

Posted in: Miscellaneous, News

11 comments… add one

• BaldSpot February 23, 2010, 12:52 am

What keeps the bottom book cover from falling away?

• xop February 23, 2010, 2:19 am

@Bald> elf magic!

• Andy Jacobs February 23, 2010, 7:48 am

@BaldSpot> There are two tiny “teeth” under the main horizontal portion of the shelf. You hook the edge of your book cover into these teeth and then close the book around it. These teeth are just barely visible in the inset photo in the top left view.

@xop> Good one! I was thinking it was some kind of old Jedi mind trick myself. ;-)

• Pam T. February 23, 2010, 9:39 am

I have had a trio of these on the wall in my office for over a year now. They’re fun, magical, and quite useful. I found them in my local Barnes and Noble store.

• Elizabeth Daugherty February 23, 2010, 11:46 am

This is actually seriously cool.

• BaldSpot February 24, 2010, 12:44 am

Just need the same kind of device to hold the lamp up there with the books.

• R. Callaghan February 24, 2010, 12:52 pm

Just wondering but what would be the max weight capacity for this shelf? Done any testing? The website didn’t list a value for it. Just wondering because some of my books are a bit…weighty :P

• Andy Jacobs February 24, 2010, 9:00 pm

@R. Callaghan> Checking around on a few other sites that carry this item, it appears that the Small can hold up to 15lbs, the Large up to 20lbs.

• becfg February 24, 2010, 9:47 pm

theyre cool…BUT i have all different sized books, and i would need LOTS of these given any weight restrictions and the number of books i own

1 vote for looking cool as, no votes for functionality

i’ll keep my bookcases…

• Garbonzo Beanfart February 26, 2010, 1:41 pm

EPIC FAIL!

It’s a PITA when you want to actually read the bottom book.

Garbonzo

• rek March 1, 2010, 5:04 pm

this is an interesting idea.. if only they could be a little stronger.. it could lead to things like wall book stairwells