The Eigenharp Alpha will guarantee you a spot in the Star Wars Cantina Band

eigenharp-alphaThe Eigenlabs Eigenharp Alpha is a radical looking USB electronic instrument that requires a Mac to play. The Alpha is a professional level instrument which allows the musician to play and improvise, change scale and key, transpose, alter tempo, program beats, create arrangements, switch and layer multiple sounds all while performing live on stage. Check out this extremely cool version of the James Bond Theme being played with two of these instruments. I would love to have one of these, but the $6450 price tag made me want to scream like a little girl.

Posted in: Music Gear, News
  • Napien December 16, 2009, 7:47 pm

You should check out the Yamaha Tenori-On. No dynamic controls (velocity, etc) but a similar sort of “live sequencer instrument.”

Much cheaper (not cheap, still ~$1000) and more portable than the eigenharp, if less sexy.

• Jackie Cheng December 16, 2009, 8:42 pm

That’s a very cool instrument…the price on the other hand…

• Cyberg00se December 16, 2009, 11:50 pm

Oh, I could get a nice Buffet bass clarinet for that kind of money, I think.

Who else is remember FG: Blue Harvest?

“Play the same song..” 🙂

• Mark December 17, 2009, 4:28 am

I have a Tenori-On, and it is a cool instrument…but in no way as dynamic or expressive as this thing is. The price tag made me want to scream like a little girl, too. It looks and sounds magnificent, but not at the expense of having to take out a home equity loan (as if those even existed anymore) to pay for it.

• Julie December 17, 2009, 6:42 am

@Mark They also offer a much much scaled down version called the Pico. The price tag on it is much more manageable $562.

• Mark December 17, 2009, 4:14 pm

I know…and my wallet is hiding from me. I just got a Thinkpad X200, so my budget is shot. I just ordered a “fire hose fild bag” from Duluth Traders that will be here tomorrow, perhaps I’ll do a review!

• Julie December 17, 2009, 9:21 pm