Steampunk pocket knife – Van Hoy Snap Lock

vanhoy-snaplockHave you ever seen a knife like this one? It’s the Van Hoy Snap Lock from CRKT. It features a very unusual opening and locking mechanism. If the included belt clip isn’t installed, the stainless steel blade can rotate 360 degrees. If one of the clips is installed (you can attach it to either side of the handle), the blade can rotate 180 degrees. You can get one for $59.99. What is the most unusual pocket knife that you’ve seen?

Posted in: Gear

• scott September 24, 2009, 9:06 pm

ummmm, little late, ive had this knife for around 5 years now… just sayin… great knife tho.

• Julie September 24, 2009, 9:10 pm

@Scott First time I’d seen it :) Does it lock open, or do you have to squeeze the handle to make it stop rotating?

• Jonathan September 25, 2009, 8:22 am

As far as just folders, I would have to say
    Kershaw 1900 External Toggle Folder (can see a pic here: http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=KER1900

It opens/closes via an ‘External Toggle’ …

• Andy Simmons September 25, 2009, 10:44 am

I’ve seen these on ThinkGeek for a while as well. I put it on my “wishlist” the moment I saw it, but still haven’t bought one. I have a (probably unreasonable) fear that, with the blade exposed like that, I’d slice my finger open reaching into my pocket for the knife.

Also, I tend to keep my pocketknife in the same pocket as my keys, and I can’t imagine that being banged against my keys all day would be good for the exposed blade.

• Cyberg00se September 25, 2009, 12:29 pm

I prefer my Spyderco Poliwog.

• scott September 25, 2009, 3:39 pm

yea, it locks open, the circle on the bottom of the blade is the switch… kinda.. hard to explain. basically when its closed, you push on the cylinder at the bottom and the blade flicks out sideways and locks up. then you would press in the cylinder again to unlatch it to return it to the closed position. little tricky getting used to how it opens… but very cool knife!