Gerber announces Crucial multi-tool

Crucial- 30-000140_green_all_toolsmIf your gadget tastes lean more toward the utilitarian, you may be happy to learn that Gerber, famous for their knives and multi-tools (and not baby food), have added a number of new items to their multi-tool family, including the Crucial multi-tool and the Curve keychain tool.  The Crucial (pictured) is a butterfly-opening pocketable tool available in green or silver, whereas the Curve loses the Multi-Plier in exchange for being just the right size for a keychain.  The built-in caribiner on both tools doubles as a bottle opener, for when you’re really and truly roughing it.

The Curve is available now, and the Crucial should be available September 15th.

Posted in: Gear

• Chris August 13, 2009, 6:03 pm

For years I waited for the perfect knife. Pliers, blade, and basic phillips and flat screwdrivers. That’s it, nothing more. The Leatherman Skeletool fit my needs perfectly, but I usually lean more towards Gerber knives. I got excited when I saw this (especially since I lost one of the screwdriver bits in my Skeletool recently), but sadly it doesn’t look to have a clip on the side like the Skeletool so I can keep it out of the way at the top of my pocket ready for action. Hopefully I’m wrong because the Crucial really looks promising.

• Julie August 13, 2009, 6:20 pm

@Chris I think it only has a carbiner clip thingy… :(

• Andy Chen August 13, 2009, 7:54 pm

The irony. I just received my Skeletool CX just today.

• Evan 'JabberWokky' Edwards August 14, 2009, 12:24 pm

Beautiful. This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. A really good pair of pliers with screwdriver heads and a single strong blade with deeply scalloped serrations at the base of the blade (for striping wire and cutting straps). If it were available in nonreflective black (no, not because I want to to “look cool”, but rather for theater and unobtrusive appearance sake), it would fit my perfect checklist.

I know what I’m asking for Christmas. :)

• Geakz August 14, 2009, 1:58 pm

Skeletool here. Built like brick poop house. Gerber is putting out some nice products.

• Tyler Onbekend August 15, 2009, 2:55 am

Nice looking multi-tool, but the caribiner clip really look likes its in the way of a good, solid grip when the tool is in knife mode. Look through the images on the Gerber site to see what I mean.

• Andy Simmons August 15, 2009, 8:45 am

Tyler, I can see what you mean. If Julie can’t get a review sample, I’ll likely be buying one of my own… either way, you’ll probably see a review here within the next month or two. Stay tuned!

• Chevy350 November 10, 2009, 12:10 pm

Nice looking tool and feels pretty solid. It just wasn’t big enough for my hands though. Just seemed too small for me.

I picked up a few with engraving as gifts though and my nephews seem to like them.