Attach a mini LCD to your computer via USB

mimi_usb_lcdThis looks like a neat addition to a gadgeteer’s desktop… It’s the Mimo Mini 7 inch LCD monitor that attaches to your computer via USB. The max resolution is 800 x 480 and it can even rotate. It can be used as a separate display for your IM client, widgets, etc. The price might be prohibitive though at $129.99. It’s available at ThinkGeek. Would you use something like this? I used to have a second display connected to my iMac and used it exclusively for my Adium chat sessions.

Posted in: Audio, Video, TV, Computer Gear
  • joshjoshlol June 24, 2009, 11:59 am

My computer time is mostly productivity stuff like CS4, where a small screen makes no sense and serves no purpose… but I would be lying if I said that that wouldn’t be sweet for when I have an IRC window open. Of course, Spaces on OSX would mostly negate the need for it…

It’d be absolutely killer if it had a built-in webcam, though. With rotation compensation/re-alignment, no less. It could also be a good travel companion piece to a netbook, seeing as it has no need for a power supply.

• Andy Chen June 24, 2009, 12:20 pm

I’ve seen this before, and I’m really intrigued…

• Sam Adams June 24, 2009, 12:28 pm

A touch screen this small would be kind of cool — could create context-sensitive buttons.

• Andy S. June 24, 2009, 1:07 pm

This can actually be very useful for things like CS4… you can drag your tool panes over to it and devote your normal monitor entirely to your workspace.

• YoLu June 24, 2009, 1:49 pm

The primary feature here is that they have included the graphics card, right? So, if I’m running a two monitor setup w/ on my current graphics card, this makes another one.

Or, set up a dock with a number of these. Maybe use as screens in the back of headrests, etc., if you have a computer in your car.

• Julie June 24, 2009, 2:50 pm

@YoLu You’re right, no graphics card is required.

• Albo June 24, 2009, 8:23 pm

Samsung U70 … much nicer for same price.

• Bill Curnow June 25, 2009, 9:19 am

I’ve had a MIMO UM-710 attached to my work computer since February and I absolutely love it… even in CS4. Being able to move the tool pallets over to the monitor frees up all sorts of space.

• Julie June 25, 2009, 9:21 am

@Bill I want one with night vision so I can find out what the heck is running around in our basement ceiling every night. It’s WAY too loud to be a mouse.

• Jhon June 25, 2009, 9:44 am

They do have two other models. One with webcam, and one with webcam + touch screen.

• Claire Strodtbeck June 25, 2009, 10:27 pm

That’s pretty awesome – I’ve been a dual-display girl for years, and I now have four monitors on my workstation at my office. I can see all sorts of handy little uses for something like this – it’d be great for traveling with a laptop, when you need some extra screen real estate in a pinch.

• Bill Curnow June 26, 2009, 9:16 am

Claire, the only real drawback…and it makes sense when you think about it…is the MIMO isn’t a plug-and-pray device. It does require drivers.

When the device was released back in February it had an annoying shiny black plastic frame that showed every single fingerprint and was nearly impossible to clean. I had to due a warranty return a couple of months ago and the replacement unit used a flat black frame, which matches my other three monitors and doesn’t show fingerprints at all.

Most of the time the MIMO is dedicated to TweetDeck, but I also use it to display status webpages, Visual Studio build windows, etc. As I mentioned in my first post, it’s very handy and I’m giving serious thought to purchasing a second one.

• Bruce Kenmir June 30, 2009, 5:22 pm

I just bought a MIMO UN-710. I have an iMac. I need a driver. Right? Where can I get what I need?
    Thanks much,
    Bruce Kenmir

• Bruce Kenmir July 1, 2009, 2:16 pm

Thanks very kindly, much appreciated! And yes it is an Intel iMac.