Spotlight Gadget – Elton John “Starburst iPod”

elton-john-ipods

How would you like some bling with your tunes? The Elton John “Starburst iPod” has been created by designer Laban Roomes of Goldgenie and Sir Elton John to raise awareness and funds for his AIDS foundation. Each iPod has color co-ordinated Swarovski crystals embedded into it by advanced laser technology and only 100 are available in each color with Elton’s signature laser engraved into the back of each one.

7 comments… add one

• ucfgrad93 January 31, 2009, 3:15 pm

They look just ok in my opinion. Checked their website and using today’s currency exchange rates they cost $565. A normal 16GB nano costs $200 from Apple. That is quite a premium Goldgenie is charging.

• Julie January 31, 2009, 4:31 pm

@ufcgrad93: I’m not sure how much those crystals are worth, but the price also reflects the fact that only 100 of each color have been made. And of course the whole charity aspect of it.

• ucfgrad93 January 31, 2009, 4:39 pm

No doubt, Swarovski crystals don’t come cheap and I have to wonder how well the crystals are embedded. I’d hate to see one pop out after just a few days.

• Julie January 31, 2009, 4:57 pm

Can you imagine sliding it into your pocket and then pulling it back out only to discover that all the crystals plopped off in your pocket? ;)
      It’s totally not my style, but I respect the charity and have always liked Elton John.

• ucfgrad93 January 31, 2009, 4:42 pm

Each one also includes “The Rocket Man:The Definitive Collection CD”. Although I wasn’t able to find how much money is going to charity.

• Kieren February 5, 2009, 3:53 am

The amount from the sale of each iPod going to Elton’s Aids charity is 12.5% of the purchase price.

• Ricky Sandhurst March 5, 2009, 5:52 pm

Just received 2 Elton John “Starburst” iPods from an order I placed approx. 5 days ago online at http://www.goldgenie.com I have to say these iPods do look amazing – crystals are not just stuck on they are laser embedded so are not easy to come out..Good job Goldgenie man.