Why I don’t like the iPhone this week…

I decided to be a lemming and use the iPhone last week during my trip to San Francisco for Macworld. It worked fine last week in California, but now I’m back home and I’ve still been using it… but guess what? It doesn’t work so well when it’s 6 degrees in the morning and you wear gloves to keep your fingers from freezing off. Touch screens don’t work too well when you can’t actually ‘touch’ them. Makes it slightly annoying to answer a phone call when you’re gloved and driving. I’m not saying that you CAN’T use the iPhone with gloves on, you can. You just have to tap the screen really hard.

So, it’s back to the Nokia E61i for a bit so that I can finish the review, and then probably back to the Treo 680 .

• Joshua Wolf January 22, 2008, 10:40 pm

iPhone can’t win.

I remember hearing grumbles that it would be worthless where I live (Arizona) because they were flaky in temperatures over 95 degrees.

I did not find that to be true, but I sure don’t have the cold problem out here.

• Smitty January 23, 2008, 2:52 am

Walking to dinner last night with my boss, he mentioned getting a call on his iPhone while wearing gloves. His solution was to turn it on with his nose. I laughed, but it works! Beats trying to pull gloves off while getting your phone out.

[Edited at January 23, 2008 03:01:09 AM.]

• Julie January 23, 2008, 8:21 am

Hahahaha! That’s too funny – and genius too. Not sure I’m going to adopt that method though. ;o)

• Hai January 23, 2008, 11:47 am

Here is a wacky solution: Cut off an eraser off the top of your pencil and glue it to your glove where your index finger or thumb (or which ever finger you use, pinky anyone?).

On a more serious note for Julie: How do gloves + E61 work together?

• Julie January 23, 2008, 1:30 pm

I don’t have any issues using gloves and the E61i. The buttons on the phone are small, but I can still press them :o)

• Leif January 23, 2008, 5:06 pm

Hi Julie…

I fully understand you :o)

In regards to myself, it’s not gloves that keeps me from using an iPhone. Please read why in my “goodbye” test of the iPhone :o(

Kind regards,

PS: Julie, thanks for a great website and many fantastic tests – you are doing great :o)

• anson January 23, 2008, 11:38 pm

i would love to share iPhone problems with you all…but unfortunately, apple is dragging its feet with intoducing the phone to us Canadians 🙁

• David Simpson January 25, 2008, 9:44 am

Maybe that’s becasue you (Canadians) have to wear gloves most of the time, and you can’t us an iPhone with gloves?

(Just kidding, but I couldn’t pass it up) 😉

• Alvin L. January 27, 2008, 11:59 pm

Has anyone tried using these on an iphone?

• Julie January 28, 2008, 3:26 pm

Interesting… You could also just cut the finger tip off of one of the gloves. I actually considered doing this, but I wear knit gloves. They would unravel ;o)