Content Nav Menu

Sonic Impact i-Fusion Rechargeable Portable iPod Speaker System

on February 9, 2006 1:57 pm

Portable speakers made especially for the Apple iPod digital audio player are available in a veritable cornucopia of sizes, shapes and prices. For example, I’ve personally reviewed JBL’s On Tour speakers and Brando’s iPod audio system. Both provide good sound for a decent price, but I think I’ve found the ultimate speaker system for the iPod with Sonic Impact’s i-Fusion speaker system. Well at least it’s the ultimate until I find the next system to review :o)

Hardware Specs

i-Fusion speaker
5 adapter sleeves
Stereo cable
AC adapter
Manual
Quickstart guide

Upon first glance, the i-Fusion resembles a rugged little suitcase instead of a portable speaker system. The outside of the speaker cabinet is constructed of a blue or greenish gray hard canvas material. Clam shell by design, a heavy duty, smooth action nylon zipper holds the top and bottom halves of the case closed.

The top half of the i-Fusion is the speaker area, and the bottom half is the docking area. The speakers are built right into the case, and can’t be removed.

5 different adapters are included with the i-Fusion to allow for 3rd, 4th and 5th generation iPods to fit in the docking area. Each of the adapters has a little picture of the iPods that work with it, so that you won’t have any problem figuring out which one to use. For my 60gb iPod Video, I was able to slide on the adapter and then plug the combo into the docking area. The fit is snug, but not overly so.

If you don’t have an iPod or an iPod with a docking connector, you’re not totally left out in the cold. Included with the i-Fusion is a short 3.5mm stereo cable that you can plug one end into the earphone jack of your audio device and the other end into the line-in jack on the left side of the i-Fusion. That’s also where you plug in the AC adapter to charge the internal lithium ion batteries. There is also a 30pin connector that you can plug your iPod docking cable into so that you can use the i-Fusion as your iPod docking station for your computer.

Between the left and right speakers is a pop out storage compartment that can hold your iPod and adapter when you’re traveling or when the speakers are not in use.

Another storage compartment is located in the bottom section of the i-Fusion, next to the battery. The manual mentions using this compartment to store your earbuds. For some reason, that just seems odd to me, but maybe it’s just me :o) I would rather see the AC adapter shrunk down so it could be stowed in this area…

The interface for the speaker set is simple to understand and use. There is a sliding On/Off power switch, + and – volume adjustment buttons and a row of LEDs that display the battery status. The i-Fusion has an automatic power off feature that will activate when the iPod has been idle for more than 8 minutes. Per charge, the i-Fusion should play between 12-20hours (depending on volume settings). The i-Fusion also charges your iPod’s batteries while it is docked, so that will also have an effect on battery life.

In use, the i-Fusion speakers sound really great for such a compact kit. They better sound good considering the price tag is $150. Max volume is quite loud and due to the patented Maxxbass psycho-acoustic technology, you get some thump with your tunes. They work great turned low, or turned up. I can’t find any complaints audio wise. The only thing I would have liked to have seen included, that was left out, would be some kind of remote control. Using the click wheel is a little awkward while the iPod is inserted into the dock. This is a pretty minor gripe though. The i-Fusion portable rechargeable speaker makes a great travel companion for your iPod. Take it to your office, camping, etc., so that you can share your tunes and videos with the world. Or at least those that want to listen.

Product Information

Price:149.99
Manufacturer:Sonic Impact
Requirements:
  • iPod with docking connector
Pros:
  • Great sound
  • Rechargeable battery
  • Stores iPod
  • Charges iPod
Cons:
  • AC adapter doesn't fit in storage compartment
  • Needs a remote control

Comments

1. 1
    Julie says:

Post your comments on the Sonic Impact i-Fusion Rechargeable Portable iPod Speaker System review.

Just click the POST REPLY button on this page.

2. 2
    Ray Adams says:

Where can this item, Sonic Impact i-Fusion Rechargeable Portable iPod Speaker System be purchased? Thanks,

3. 3
    Julie says:

@Ray It doesn’t look like this model is for sale any more. They have some newer ones here: http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4055

4. 4
    Crystal says:

I bought mine @ Target a couple of years ago. I LOVED it! Unfortunately, I allowed my 10 yr. old to use it and she broke it. Target no longer carries them. I am now looking for a replacement and am not happy with anything that I have found thus far.

5. 5
    robert says:

DO NOT PURCHASE! The company is out business, Web site those not have a phone number to call for customer service or address. You can send a email to customer service but you will not get a response. I purchase a used Sonic Impact but it do not have a battery. So I try to get a battery from the Sonic Impact and found the company went out of business . And what you see at other retail store like Amazon or other store you are seeing the last of their product . And last I could not get a battery and Sonic Impact those not work without one so you are stuck with expensive piece of junk.

6. 6
    Debbie says:

I got a used one given to me and love it since it is free but wondered about how to change battery and it looks like I can’t. I will use plugged in and hope that if a battery is ever available, I can get. Has anyone changed the battery and know how? It says to read manual and I don’t have one.

7. 7
    Terri Moore says:

I have a sonic Impact (LOVE IT) approxiamately 5 years old, unfortunately the battery has died and the A.C. adapter apparently WILL NOT work alone. Has anyone bought a new battery and if so, where can i purchase one.

8. 8
    Melissa says:

I have had one of these for years. I LOVE IT! You cannot find them new anymore but, I have seen them on ebay used. I am looking for one for my sister for christmas. I messaged a woman that said she sells batteries for the ifusion as well so you can always check there for replacement batteries

9. 9
    Charles says:

Hi, i’ve just this great looking Ipod speaker. I love the sound it produce from sure small speakers. Anyone can advise whether you’ve any problem charging your Ipod Nano 4 Gen with it. Mine can’t charge at all. Cheers!

10. 10
    Cynthia R. says:

We purchased one in 2006. Can you still purchase a Sonic Impact i-Fusion Rechargeable Portable iPod Speaker System? If so, where?

11. 11
    C.K says:

Love the sonic impact i-fusion;however,lost d.c 9volt battery charger.Will any 9-volt charger work?

12. 12
    smh says:

battery will not hold charge company out of business do not buy
    150 dollars for junk last 6 months

13. 13
    Nicole Wilson says:

I have had my Sonic Impact I Fusion for about 4 years now and to this day I STILL LOVE IT and it was definately worth every penny!! I’ve lost my AC adapter to charge the internal lithium ion batteries…does anyone know where you can purchase a new AC adapter?? I love my I Fusion, I can’t figure out why some reviews are calling it “junk”…I just wish I could charge mine….because I LOVE it!!

14. 14
    Cassie says:

My ifusion just died, but I saved the AC adapter. If someone needs one, just let me know: cwillyard@nasw.org.

15. 15
    Maggie says:

My battery for my iFusion just died and I don’t have the power cord any more. Does anyone know where I can find them? Thx.

16. 16
    Skeety says:

LOVE MY IFUSION!! Had it for 4 yrs. Problem: When I turn it on, I get 1 second of music & it quits working. Does that mean the battery is dead? See all the posts say they have lost the battery. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

17. 17
    Elvis A says:

if your battery is dead simply replace it… just because the casing says sonic impact doesnt mean its the only one of its kind, just go to a battery store and give it to them and theyll order one for you and replace the isides :) about 40$ for a new battery…

18. 18
    Scott C says:

My battery just died also and I can’t seem to locate a site that sells a replacement. I am not sure what a “battery store” is. Like a Radio Shack?…..and they don’t sell them..

19. 19
    steve r says:

Amazing little portable unit. Just got a nano and it isn’t compatible. Not compatible with 3G ipone either, but works great with my ipod and old nano. Anyone looking to get a replacement unit, mine…. can email me at salestormusa@gmail.com I’m forced to go hunting for something as good as this baby. Steve

20. 20
    Leah says:

I am looking for a power cord for my Sonic Impact. Our basset hound ate the original and my son lost the $30 replacement. If anyone has one to spare please email me at: ljbling@yahoo.com
    Thanks!

21. 21
    Rick says:

this system works great when it works, now I am trying to find batteries for it since it does not recharge and it is impossible. and my ac cable does not work when plugged in… Does anyone know where I can find batteries for this system.

22. 22
    Ray says:

Can you let me know where in the UK I can buy a new battery for my Sonic Impact portable speakers.Model I Fusion.

Thanks

23. 23
    Dean says:

Where can I get a replacement battery for the Isonic impact?

24. 24
    Bob Bartocci says:

where do I get a battery replacement???

25. 25
    Sam says:

I can honestly say this is one of the rare products that I have been really and truely happy with. I bought it in 2006 and the battery finally died this weekend. That’s not bad. It’s been durable, high quality and until the very end, the battery would last for many many hours of life. I haven’t figured out where to get another one but I would surely consider it. One of the best things about it is its durability. You can drop it, get it wet and bang it around and it works like a charm. Great product.

26. 26
    Don says:

Where can I buy a replacement battery?

27. 27
    corey e berger says:

I just came across a sonic impact I-fusion with charger and battery(guessing original). Will let go before I get attached to it for $80.00. speakers, case, battery and charger only. First $70.00 takes

28. 28
    Hey Now says:

Sonic Impact batteries, I just changed out my battery with a 7.2V 2200mAh camcorder battery from RayoVac, been running all afternoon, so far so good. Take a look at Batteries Plus. You have to take the leads off the original battery, around 50 bucks should get it done.

29. 29
    Tony says:

Does any one know where I can get a adapter sleeve for mmu soni impact . I have a Ipod nano

Thanks
    Tony
    apirrone@austin.rr.com

30. 30
    Roger says:

Hi Sonic Impact lovers!
    If you are like me and love a great product and want to make the best use of it then read this space…As we all know this company went out of business and I must say this device kicks butt compared to the other ipod speaker players out there now, even bose! So I want to keep on using it and using it some more but then the inevitable happened, the battery died!!! Having read countless blogs on how/where to get a replacement battery for this device (I have the i-F3), nothing seemed to help. I went on my own mission to find a replacement battery and I did – simple answer: eBay! Don’t make the mistake I was making by searching for “sonic impact battery”, you won’t find it. Simply go to eBay and type in: “7.4v Li-ion battery” and you will find an abundance of options! But these batteries do NOT come with the connector that is on your original sonic impact battery so you must do some home wiring – it’s really pretty simple, just cut the black and red wires to retain the original connector and connect them to the replacement battery wires, cover the exposed wire with a little electrical tape, and voila!!! You have a replacement sonic impact battery!!! Live on SONIC IMPACT!!!!

31. 31
    Harry says:

Roger…I inherited the original version from my son who is in the service. It is this docking station but the first iPod after the nano. I believe he bought it when they first came out. Yesterday I plugged in the power cord and it did light up and I could play it as long as I kept it plugged in. Obviously, the battery on the docking station is shot. It is the 8.4 2000mAH. Today I can’t get it to play even with the cord plugged in. It tries to come on for one second then shuts down and a picture of a battery can be seen in the dark screen with a little picture attached to the battery picture which implies, I assume, that it is not charging. Some times I get green lights for a little while which turns to a red light on the on/off switch as well as the first display bar under the switch. Now, anyone, is there also a lithium battery in the iPod as well as the docking station? I hesitated to try to take it apart. Why won’t it work while connected via the power cord. Also, do you know a place to look for an 8.4v or, will the 7.4v 2000mAh work. Anybody who can help this dad out would be appreciated. I did put a $22.50 bid down on a used on on eBay (docking station only) but this may be just a temporary fix…thanks for any help!!!

32. 32
    justin says:

I purchased the sonic impact I F5 great sound. But I have used them maybe a total of three charges and when I went to charge them this time it started charging totally fine then all the lights went off on the machine and it is not charging or turning on what can the issue be?